19 December 2006

Aaurgh.



So, last night I spent way too much time inserting a zipper into the Tomten Jacket. I put it in, it didn't look right, I ripped it out. Repeat. Finally, it was in all the way--I zipped it up, and it looked....not so good. Sigh. The zipper seemed fine when I picked it out, but now it just looks like a giant piece of masking tape down the front. I know I could put it in so that more of the fabric overlaps, but I'm worried about the zipper getting caught in the yarn.

I decided that using buttons is the way to go, so at lunch today I zoomed over to JoAnns to find something good. After navigating the holiday shopper traffic (JoAnns is near THE MALL), I ended up picking 3 options: One large button for the neck area; three clasps for spacing out along the front; five clasps for along the front. Tonight I will choose the ultimate winner.

Tomorrow is the last day I can send out a package of gifts Priority Mail and have it arrive before Christmas. Do you think I can get the jacket finished by tomorrow? How about the Red Baby Surprise Jacket? I....am not hopeful. Well, hopeful but also worried. I'm trying to resize it for a 3 month old, but instead of using a thinner yarn, I'm changing the numbers. Unfortunately, I've figured out that the construction of this sweater makes this hard to do. I made the sleeve circumference smaller, which ended up making the back wider. I think the baby will end up with a large, short-sleeved sweater. We'll see!

No comments: